Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Looking Deep Into the Mirror

There are many people that I salute to on the subject of being great writers. However, there are more that I find unappealing writers. Rick Warren is a great writer to my concerns. He goes into concepts that maybe have been discussed alot, but he brings deeper definitions and new perspectives to go about improving on different topics.

Right now I'm borrowing his book, Bible Study Methods from The Bunker. So far I have found nothing about this book that I could ask more of. It's simple to understand, but when you looker deeper into what he says it's a whole new whole world of thought.

When you don't stop to think about it, when you are reading the Bible, you are studying it, right? Wrong. If you are simply reading the Bible, you are obviously just reading the Bible. It takes feedback written down and going deeper into scripture than what is on top to classify as studying the Bible. This statement alone blows my mind as I sit here. If everyone would really study the Bible, instead of just reading it I would be willing to guess that the church and the viewpoints of Christianity wouldn't be in the shape it currently is in.

To justify actually studying the Bible, the book calls for 2-4 hours of intense prayer, meditation, one-to-one with our heavenly Father. Don't freak out about this. It also says, to properly study and get full application out of this gesture to only do this once or twice a week. Which you still might be weary about; but look at how much time you spend in front of the computer, me including and compare that to how much time you spend in front of your Bible and time you spend in deep prayer. Now it doesn't really seem like a big deal.

So this is my own little calling for writers and Christians in general to find a study method(refer to Bible Study Methods for further description) that works for us and spend time a few times a week meditating, praying, asking questions about, searching for answers in small or larger portions of the Bible.

Yes, this might cause you to give up a show or two on tv or a small talk conversation on Facebook but look at what could result in this. Our ultimate goal to become closer to God everyday in our relationship with God.

Pray about it. I'm excited to get this puppy rollin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment